Unless you are Jewish or someone you know is Jewish, you might not be familiar with the holiday of Rosh Hashanah. Let me share just 5 things you might not know about Rosh Hashanah and then I’ll share how some bloggers celebrate.
- Rosh Hashanah is a Jewish holiday celebrated on the 1st of Tishrei in the Jewish Calendar which happens to be the 1st day of the Jewish year. This usually falls in September. Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year.
- Rosh Hashanah celebrates the special relationship God has with humans, our dependence on each other. It’s a time to reflect on your life, your sins and what you’ve done well.
- Rosh Hashanah is observed by a sounding of the shofar (ram’s horn) which represents the trumpet blast when a king is coronated. It is also a call for repentance. Also, it is traditional to eat a piece of apple dipped in honey to symbolize our desire for a sweet year.
- Rosh Hashanah’s greeting is Leshanah tovah which means something like good year or may you have a good year or may you be written down for a good year.
- Rosh Hashanah is followed 10 days later by another holiday called Yom Kippur during which Jews fast.
How Is it Celebrated?
We gather together at my Bubby’s house (grandmother) for a dinner and to hang out with each other and keep up with what’s been going on in our lives. – Kathleen from callistasramblings.com
My family gathers for a big 4-course meal. What’s special about Rosh Hashana is the symbolic food that we eat. we dip apples and challah in honey to represent a sweet year and we eat pomegranate so we can have as many blessings as there are seeds. While we don’t eat it, my mom always puts a head of a fish on the table. This reminds us that we should be leaders (and not followers like the tail). Most important to me, it’s a great time to reflect on the past year and look forward to a new beginning and making the best of the new (Jewish) year and how I can change to be a more compassionate, loving and helpful individual in my community. – Maya from Mayahood
Latest posts by Kathleen Bailey (Garber) (see all)
- Kids Are Home for 2 Weeks? Don’t Worry #StreamTeam - December 23, 2016
- Gilmore Girls: Year in the Life or Fuller House Season 2 - December 15, 2016
- VTech Care for Me Learning Carrier #HGG16 - December 14, 2016